Above & Beyond
Rochester Hills, Michigan
- Design new parking lot configuration to satisfy parking requirements and traffic flow needs
- Perform complete site grading including sidewalks, pavements, landscape areas, and walls
- Design retaining wall system to allow for the preservation of existing tree cover
- Collaborate with the City of Rochester Hills and other disciplines to produce compliant plan sets
- Communicate with owner to incorporate desired design features
Frank Rewold & Son
333 E. Second St.
Rochester, MI 48307
Street View of Daycare
Above & Beyond (formerly Kidz 1st) is a 0-4 year old Daycare facility. The lower level of this building was completely converted from office space into a young child care center. The main entrance of the lower level was converted into three separate play areas for the children and a new entrance was created along the side of the building. The design challenge was to make this new entrance along the side of the building inviting and clear to parents dropping off their children. The grading had to be revised to accommodate the new doorway in an area that was once a steeply sloped hill. The design of a keystone retaining wall which required less earth removal allowed for the preservation of several large sycamores shading this new entrance. An instructional terrace along with a concrete stairway was also included in the design to allow for parking overflow in the rear of the building.